What is motorbike insurance?
There’s no simpler way to put it than motorcycle insurance is like car insurance but for your motorbike. Like car insurance, depending on your level of cover you are protected against anyone being injured in an accident, your bike being stolen and your bike being damaged. Like car insurance it is a legal requirement to have motorbike insurance if you ride a bike on a public road. The minimum level of cover required by law is Third Party Insurance.
Why choose GoSkippy?
Competitive rates – We want our customers to be able to compare the best bike insurers. We have access to a panel of insurers so you can compare motorbike insurance directly through GoSkippy. Find a policy which suits your needs and budget best.
Versatile – Whether you are an avid motorcycle enthusiast, own a high-performance super bike or drive a moped on your daily commute to work, we have the ideal motorbike insurance product for you.
Optional extras – We have a range of motorbike insurance add from helmet and leathers cover which will replace leather damaged beyond repair and RAC bike breakdown cover. We can create the perfect package to suit your motorbike needs.
24/7 policy access – You can take control of your bike insurance policy day or night. Log into your online customer portal. Here you can check or make changes to your cover. You can request and send documents and have peace of mind that your cover is up to date.
Self-help service – If you are in a rush, we have a fantastic ‘self-help’ service. Here you can find answers to your questions about your insurance without having to call in.
Online customer service – You can also find help through live chat. Our team of our customer service agents are ready and waiting to help you with your bike insurance. You can chat with our agents from 9am – 8pm Mon-Fri. 9am – 6pm Saturday.
Get a cheap motorbike insurance quote today from as little as £148 per year*
Motorbike insurance frequently asked questions
Are my motorbike leathers covered?
This is not included in standard cover. We do offer an optional extra for helmet and leathers cover. This will repair damaged helmets and clothing and where leather are beyond repair, we will replace them.
How old do I have to be to ride a motorbike, moped or scooter?
You are legally required to be 16 year old to ride a motorbike. You will first need to apply for a provisional licence, followed by completing your CBT.
What is a CBT?
A CBT is your Compulsory Basic Training, which is a course you need take to be able to ride a motorcycle on public roads. You can find out more on getting a motorbike licence here.
Can I use my No Claims Bonus from my car policy?
No, unfortunately you cannot transfer car No Claims Discount from your car insurance onto your bike policy.
Am I covered to ride another person's bike?
This will depend on the level of cover purchased and the term of your chosen policy. Check your certificate of motor insurance. This will tell you whether your policy covers you while you are riding any other motorcycle. Log in to the portal to find this.
My bike has modifications, can I still get cover?
This will depend on the modifications. Details of modifications will need to be referred to the insurer to confirm if they will cover the bike or not.
Can I carry passengers?
We do offer pillion cover with some of our policies. If you are covered to carry pillions, it will be stated on your certificate of motor insurance.
How do I get bike Insurance?
Getting a motorbike insurance quote doesn’t have to take all day. By ensuring you have the details of your motorbike, getting a quote and comparing bike insurance can take minutes. For a quote you will need;
- Your bikes registration number as this will give us all the information we need to get you your quote. Don’t worry if you don’t know this, we have and “I don’t know my registration number” option. We can still find your bike if you have the make, model and year.
- We will need information about you (the driver) and any other named driver. this includes date of birth and any previous claims/ convictions information.
- If you have any years of NCD we will also want to know about this.
- We will need you to let us know when you would like your cover to start.
How much is motorbike insurance?
All motorbike insurance quotes are generated based on the individual policyholder and their motorbike. When taking out a quote, we will ask a series of questions to find out what type of cover you require, including the make and model of your bike, your driving history, and any previous claims or convictions. The quote generated will be the best price we can offer based on the information you have provided.
See what our customers say…
Don’t just take our word for it
What do I need to get a bike insurance quote?
- Are aged between 17-74.
- Hold a valid UK or EU driver’s licence, and are permanent residents in the UK. Please note, our insurance policies are for UK residents only.
- Do not have any non-motoring convictions which are not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
- Have never been refused insurance. Or had special terms or cancellation imposed on previous insurance policies.
- Has been earned in the UK from a private bike policy, and is not being used on another vehicle.
- Your no claims bonus is no more than 2 years old.
Helmet and Leathers cover from £50.99
- Repair damaged helmet or clothing
- Replace leathers damaged beyond repair
- Up to £1,500 of cover per annum (exclusions apply)
Replacement vehicle cover from £23.99
- A hire vehicle will be provided if your vehicle is stolen. Or or damaged or deemed un-drivable after an accident with another vehicle.
- Replacement vehicle provided if your vehicle is stolen. Or immobilised as a result of an attempted theft, vandalism, or criminal damage.
- 24-hour helpline, so you can speak to us day or night.
Types of motorbike insurance cover
What does comprehensive insurance offer?
What does Third Party, Fire and Theft insurance offer?
Your legal liability to third parties is covered. This includes damage to their vehicle or compensation for injuries sustained if the accident was your fault. The cover also extends to fire damage to your bike. Or damage arising out of the theft or attempted theft of your bike.
What does provisional insurance offer?
As younger drivers are statistically more likely to be involved in accidents. They have a limited amount of experience driving it is important that they are insured. Provisional insurance offers teenagers and young people and older provisional drivers. Cover until such time that they pass their drivers licence. GoSkippy offers competitive quotes and low monthly premiums. Especially if a more experienced motorist, such as a parent is the main driver on the provisional policy.
We are always here to help
We have a fantastic online customer service team; chat to our motorbike insurance experts on live chat. They can assist you with all of your insurance questions.
Visit our self help service by clicking the icon to the bottom-right of this website. Select motorbike insurance.
Speak to one of our insurance experts by calling customer service on: 0344 776 5748
Did you know that most of our customers save time by purchasing a policy online quickly and easily via our website, GoSkippy.com. There is a small admin fee of £10 to purchase a policy over the phone, which will be added to the annual policy arrangement fee.
*Based upon our lowest paid premiums from Southern Rock in December 2018