Despite having a relatively stable climate, the Great British weather can consist of a lot of wind, rain and storms. This can come with the increased likelihood of property and vehicle damage. Which is why we’ve put together a guide of steps you can take to protect both you, your home and your vehicle before a storm takes shape. Here’s how to stay safe in the storms.
What is a storm?
While a storm doesn’t have an official meteorological definition like a Hurricane, a ‘storm’ usually applies to a ‘violent atmospheric disturbance’, this could be a thunderstorm, sleet, or a snowstorm with strong winds and precipitation.
A storm can cause significant damage to homes and vehicles. Each year in the UK, there’s £300 million worth of damage on average caused by storms in the UK. Which is why it’s important to be prepared to protect your home and your vehicles with the correct insurance.
How to Stay Safe in the Storms:
How do I protect my home from storm damage?
- Roof upkeep: Regularly inspect your roof for any loose or damaged tiles. Get a professional in to replace them promptly.
- Trim trees: Trim overhanging branches to prevent them from falling onto your home during strong winds.
- Secure outside items: Bring in or secure outdoor furniture including sheds, trampolines, garden tools, and any other loose items that could be blown around in strong winds.
- Clear drains: Regularly get a professional in to keep all your drains and gutters clear from leaves and debris. This will allow for drainage of excessive rain water.
- Sandbags: If your area is susceptible to flooding, plan ahead and purchase some sandbags. Sandbags can be used to block doorways, drains and other openings into properties. They are designed to keep water out for short periods as well as filter out muddy sediments found in flood waters.
How do I protect my car from storm damage?
- If possible, try and park your car in a garage or covered area. This will help reduce the risk of your vehicle being hit by flying debris.
- Avoid parking under trees, where branches can fall and damage it.
- Avoid parking in low-lying areas that are prone to flooding.
- Avoid driving through flood waters, if possible take an alternative route. Driving through standing water can not only leave you stranded on the roadside but can also cause permanent damage to your vehicle.
- Ensure you have breakdown cover added to your insurance policy, GoSkippy customers can add RAC breakdown cover to their car insurance policy by calling 0344 840 6302.
It’s also important to check your cover for your home insurance and car insurance to ensure that you’re protected in the event of poor weather. As a GoSkippy customer, you can find this information in your policy documents located in your online portal*. Alternatively, you can contact one of the team on 0344 840 6311.
Want to learn more about preparing your car for winter? Check out our blog here!
Looking for home or car insurance cover? Get a quote today with GoSkippy!
Looking for car insurance cover? Get a quote today!
*Watford policy holders only.