Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software

What is HGV Insurance?

HGV insurance is a type of commercial vehicle insurance that’s needed before you take a heavy goods vehicle out on the road as part of your business. You may also see it referred to as ‘truck insurance’.

HGV insurance will help to make sure there’s minimal disruption to your business in the event your HGV is stolen or in an accident and protect you from the cost of legal and compensation claims should you cause damage or injury to a third party.

Three levels of HGV Insurance

The first stage of building your HGV Insurance policy is choosing the right level of cover for your business.

The minimum cover you need (by law) is third party only (TPO). However, you can increase this level of cover if you want greater peace of mind:

Fully comprehensive cover icon
Fully Comprehensive

This includes the cover you’d receive with Third Party Fire and Theft, with added protection for your own vehicles if you’re involved in a collision that’s your fault.

Third party, fire & theft icon
Third Party, Fire and Theft

The same as Third Party Only, but with cover for your vehicles if they’re stolen or damaged by fire.

Third party icon
Third Party Only

Covers any damage you cause to other people and their property. It doesn’t cover repairs to your own vehicles.

Types of HGV Insurance

Generally, there are two types:

Carriage of own goods
Carriage of goods (hire and reward)

This includes the cover you’d receive with TPFT, with added protection for your own vehicles if you’re involved in a collision that’s your fault.


This provides cover if you use your HGV to carry other peoples’ goods over long distances, normally one large load going to one destination.

Public liability insurance is recommended to protect you if a member of the public claims to have suffered an injury or loss because of your business activity. Our brokers can make sure you have the right level of cover for your business.

HGV optional extras

There are some covers that are mandatory by law, for example, third party only insurance and employers’ liability (if you employ someone as part of your business).

Then there are optional extras you can add to tailor your HGV insurance to your exact needs.

We ask the right questions to get you the correct cover for your business. We also make sure you’re not paying for cover you don’t need and can give you expert advice on how to keep your insurance costs down.

Some of the optional extras we can include*:

Whether you need to insure one HGV or a Fleet, we’ll arrange the right cover for your needs all on one policy.

*Limitations and exclusions apply to all these add-ons

Who needs HGV Insurance?

If you’re in the business of driving a truck – anything from 3.5 – 7.5 tonnes – to deliver goods for other people, you’ll need HGV insurance.

Enquire now
HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle) icon

Why use GoSkippy 4 Business?

We are an insurance broker set up to bring you first class insurance at the most competitive prices we can find.

We search a range of market-leading insurers to find you the best deal. Please note, the cheapest way to get a quote from us is online.

We’re an established UK broker icon

We’re an established UK broker

Affordable price icon

Affordable price

Quality cover icon

Quality cover

Top customer service icon

Top customer service

Fleet Insurance

Get a quote
Skippy driving a lorry

HGV Insurance

"*" indicates required fields

(e.g. Johnathan Smith)
(e.g. John's Business)
(e.g. 07000000000)
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Looking to contact us a different way?

Email icon