Privacy Statement & Cookies
The use of the “Eldon” name (also “we”, “us” and our”) in this privacy statement encompasses one or more of the trading names or Appointed Representatives of Eldon that operate in the United Kingdom. These companies may market and provide information about insurance products and services on these Websites.
For a full list of Eldon trading companies please visit https://register.fca.org.uk/
The privacy and security of your personal information is very important to us. We want to assure you that your information will be properly managed, protected and respected. You can be assured any information you provide us will be used strictly in accordance with the terms laid out in this statement.
This privacy statement explains how we collect and use your personal information, what choices you have and other important information.
If you have any questions regarding this statement, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
The Compliance Manager
Eldon Insurance Services Ltd
For more specific information regarding this statement please read below.
Information you provide to Eldon
We collect the information that you provide to us via the Websites, partner Websites and over the telephone when you obtain a quote, make a change to your policy, request support or submit an enquiry, including claims notifications, or buy products and services from us.
This information may include:
- basic personal details such as your name, address, e-mail address or date of birth;
- additional information about your lifestyle and insurance requirements, such as details of your vehicle, your home, your household or your business arrangements;
- sensitive personal information – in certain where we have a legitimate interest for the purpose of providing insurance cover or other associated products we may collect sensitive personal information such as health information or disclosures about previous criminal convictions. We will always be clear to explain when and why we need this information and the purposes for which we will use it and will obtain your explicit consent to use sensitive personal information;
- information about other members of your household or family, for example, family members who may drive your vehicle or who may be included on a household insurance policy or on whose life you take out a life insurance policy; and
- your marketing and communication preferences.
Information collected from third parties
We use information from public sources such as from credit agencies, Motor Insurance Database, Claims and Underwriting Exchange, fraud prevention databases plus other third parties. This information may be used in various ways, such as to assess your application for a product, service or quote, to verify your identity, carry out anti-fraud checks, provide you with premium and payment options or tailored offers.
We will always be transparent with you about how we use this information including providing further information in our fair processing notices and obtaining your consent where necessary.
We may use information from online sources, such as websites, social media and information sharing platforms. This information may be used to help tailor and improve our services and communicate with you effectively, as we know many of our customers use a range of media channels to communicate and share information. The information is also used to understand risk, fraud or other pertinent information for our insurance services.
Where we use information from these sources, we will respect any permissions you have set about how you would like your information to be used.
We recommend you routinely review the privacy notices and preference settings that are available to you on any social media platforms.
Information we collect through Cookies and similar technologies
We may collect information through “Cookies” and other similar technologies (e.g. pixel tags or links), to remember you when you visit the Websites so we can improve your online experience to suit your needs. These help us understand how you and others use our Websites, view our products and respond to our advertising, so we can tailor direct marketing and enhance our overall product and service offering.
Essential cookies are technical cookies that are required for the operational purposes of our sites. Without essential cookies, our websites couldn’t operate properly. Essential cookies include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas.
Performance cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to our website, and observe how visitors move around the site. This helps us to improve the way our website works by enabling us to tailor our site to the way visitors uses it. The information we collect from performance cookies is aggregated, meaning we cannot identify you while using them.
You can disable cookies by activating the relevant settings on your browser. However, if you do so you may not be able to access all the information on our sites. If you continue using our sites, and do not change your browser settings, we will assume that you approve of us using cookies as described above.
When you visit one of our websites, we may record your device information including hardware and software used, general location, when and how you interact with our websites. This information is retained and used to note your interest in our Websites, improve customer journeys, determine pricing, fraud prevention and/or offer you available discounts.
We may also use your information in pseudonymised and/or anonymised form (so that you cannot be identified) to analyse how people use our Websites, view our products and respond to our advertising.
When you receive direct marketing from us via email, we may use also use technology e.g. pixel tags or links to determine your use of and interest in our direct marketing.
Other information we collect
When you visit one of our Websites, we may automatically record your computer’s IP address for detecting fraudulent activity.
We may share and aggregate information about you from across Eldon and depending on your preferences, we may use this information to help us identify products and services that may be of interest to you. This enables us to tailor and package our products and services. We may also use this information as well as personal information held within Eldon relating to other policies held with us, quotes or claim details, to determine pricing and/or offer available discounts.
If you purchase a product or service from us, your personal information will be used as part of the business operations including underwriting, determining premiums, managing claims, credit broking, fraud prevention, assessing risk and offering renewals
Information about you or your use of our products and services, the Websites and mobile applications may also be used by Eldon or its insurers for research and statistical purposes, for example, to analyse and predict individuals’ or groups of people’s behaviour, preferences and interests. Safeguards will be put in place to ensure that any processing of data is fair and transparent, also appropriate statistical procedures will be used when profiling and it will be ensured that the data is secure and protects your interests.
We may, as a matter of law, and without requiring notice or consent, use your information for crime and fraud prevention, systems administration for Eldon and to monitor and/or enforce Eldon’s compliance with any regulatory rules and codes.
We also use the information we collect for other legitimate business purposes, such as to:
- Send you advertisements, notices and other information regarding our products and services, including notifying you about special promotions;
- Respond to your inquiries or support requests;
- Invite you to participate in surveys regarding our products or services;
Finally, in certain limited circumstances, we may be called upon to release the information we collect in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law or regulation. We plan to cooperate in responding to such requests, taking appropriate measures to ensure that the requester understands the potentially-sensitive nature of the information they may receive. We also reserve the right to cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting customers who violate our rules or engage in behaviour that is illegal or harmful to others or their property.
If you purchase a product or service, your personal information will be shared with our associated companies, business partners, insurers and reinsurers for the purposes of our operations (as detailed above).
We may, as a matter of law and without requiring notice or consent, share your personal information with regulatory, fraud prevention and law enforcement bodies.
Your information may be disclosed when we believe in good faith that the disclosure is:
- required by law;
- to protect the safety of our employees, the public or Eldon property;
- required to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process; or
- in the event of a merger, asset sale, or other related transaction.
We may disclose your information to third party suppliers or service providers to conduct business, for example, to help manage and store data, provide data analytics, and includes the handling of claims etc. This may include any online partners we work with, so we, or our online partners on our behalf, can communicate with you through their platforms.
We analyse data using mathematical and statistical techniques to have a greater understanding of risk which will benefit those that represent a lower risk to insurers, enabling Eldon and our insurers to offer more competitive premiums.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THIRD PARTIES
Social Media Plugins. Our online environments may use social media plugins (for example, the Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn buttons) to enable you to visit pages on these social media sites or to easily share information with others. When you visit our online environments, the operator of the social plugin can place a cookie on your device, enabling that operator to recognize individuals who have previously visited our online environments. If you are logged into the social media website (for example, Facebook, Twitter, Google+) while browsing on our online environments, the social plugins allow that social media website to receive information that you have visited our online environments. We do not control any of the content from the social media plugins. For more information about social plugins from other social media websites you should refer to those sites’ privacy and data sharing statements.
If you give us information about another person (for example a family member or a client), it is your responsibility to ensure and confirm that:
- you have told the individual who Eldon is and how we use personal information (as set out in this privacy statement); and
- you have permission from this individual to provide their personal information (including any sensitive personal data) to us and for us to process it, as set out in this privacy statement.
Your information may be transferred by Eldon to any country, including countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA), for processing, storage, administration or any other use stated in this statement. The purposes and processing associated with any such transfer will comply with all applicable data protection regulations, including the UK Data Protection Act and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that fully comes into force 25th May 2018, and with our obligation to adequately protect and secure your personal information. We will ensure that every data controller or processor to whom we pass your information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as required by the Data Protection and GDPR regulations in the UK and EU.
By providing your personal information to Eldon you consent to the transfer of your information as described above.
When the GDPR comes fully into effect on 25th May 2018 you will have the following rights:
- The right to be informed – We will be transparent through our privacy statement and Terms of Business of how Eldon use your data
- The right of access – You have the right to know how your data is being used, the source of your data and your right to see it
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request your data is amended if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- The right to erasure – You have the right to erase your data except to the extent that this is required as a pre-condition for the provision of insurance for as long as a claim or complaint could be made in relation to the policy
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to restrict the processing of your data except for where this is required for provision of your policy
- The right to data portability – You have the right to data portability which allows you to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services. It allows you to move, copy or transfer personal data easily from one IT environment to another in a safe and secure way, without hindrance to usability
- The right to object – You have the right to object and you can contact Eldon on the contact details at the end of this statement. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office:
- processing based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority (including profiling);
- direct marketing (including profiling); and
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling – You have the right to not have a decision made based on automated processing that produces a legal effect or a similar significant effect on you, other than what is required for the understanding of risk modelling and associated premiums.
Eldon’s privacy statement is designed to meet these requirements. If you have any concerns, please contact us on the contact details provided at the end of this document.
We are committed to protecting the confidentiality and security of the information that you provide to us and we put in place appropriate technical, physical and organisational security measures to protect against any unauthorised access or damage to, or disclosure or loss of, your information.
You should also be aware that communications over the internet, such as e-mails, are not secure unless they have been encrypted. The Websites may contain links to other third party websites. These other websites will be subject to their own privacy policies which may differ from this privacy statement. You should carefully read the privacy policies of these websites before submitting any personal information.
- provide you with updates and offers of products and services via marketing tailored to you, whether through online digital services (e.g. online advertising, social media communications), or by direct marketing (e.g. phone, e-mail, text, post); and
- use information we hold about you from across Eldon to help us identify, tailor and package products and services, determine pricing and offer discounts that may be of interest to you.
We want you to have control over how we use your information to make offers and how we communicate these to you.
- We will always give you the opportunity to ‘opt in’ to direct marketing when you request an online quote, purchase a product or service online or receive any email, text or other direct marketing communication.
- You can opt out of marketing emails we may send to you by following the “unsubscribe” instructions provided in such emails. If you opt out of our marketing emails, we will still send you transactional and relationship emails, such as emails about your policies including your renewal quote.
- We will not use sensitive personal details (such as information relating to your health record or any criminal issues) to provide you with marketing, discounts or pricing unless you have given your explicit consent to allow us to use this information for these purposes.
Please let us know if your information changes as it is important that the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date.
You can ask us to update or correct your personal information or opt out of Eldon’s use of your information for marketing purposes by contacting us using any of the following methods:
By Phone: Customer Service | 0344 840 6302
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You have the right to request a copy of all the personal information we hold about you in a Subject Access Request. To do this, simply write to us at the address below and we will respond to you without delay and at least within one month of receipt of the request. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing you with details of any personal information we may hold about you.
We may amend this privacy statement from time to time for example, to keep it up to date or to comply with legal requirements.
For any questions or concerns relating to this privacy statement or our data protection practices, or to make a subject access request, please contact us at:
The Compliance Manager
Eldon Insurance Services Ltd
Updated on the 25th May 2018.